[How-To] - Help Minimize buffering in kodi
Hi guys, this guide is to help minimize buffering in kodi, as you all know we have all suffered from it at times and hate it with a passion, we get it, we hate it, now over my time playing with kodi and trying to over come these issues myself "YES" even i get buffering issues myself.
Check out and follow me on Twitter
ALWAYS BACKUP ANY ORIGINAL FILES YOU ARE GOING TO EDIT OR REPLACE JUST INCASE GUYS
What causes it ?.
- This comes into many categories
- Network latency
- Heavy load on the network
- Heavy traffic using the same links
- Improperly configured router
- Bad Network Signal
- WEAK Network Signal
We are not going to go into that right now, what we are going to do is take a look at what can "HELP" minimize the issue, well this can be many reasons but we are going to look at the easiest method to see if we can help with the issue "THIS IS NOT A SIMPLE FIX" but it can help minimize the effects.
As we all know there are settings we may never hear about, talk about, read about but we will more than likely come across the issues and never find the solution.
Now that i have had a little rant over this issue.
What we are going to do is create a .xml file so we can add the settings we would like to test.
Below is a little code that you should copy and paste into the .xml file.
<advancedsettings> <network> <buffermode>1</buffermode> <readbufferfactor>1.5</readbufferfactor> <cachemembuffersize>52428800</cachemembuffersize> </network> </advancedsettings>
I know the above might look a little daunting but below is a picture of how it should look.
Ok so you might now be wondering what these settings do.
- "0" is Default, Buffer all internet filesystems including ftp, network drives and so on.
- "1" will buffer all internet filesystems
- "2" Only buffers true internet filesystems IE, http and so on.
- "3" No buffering what so ever.
- 4.0 is Default and = 20Mbps so 1.0 = 5Mbps
This setting determines the max read-rate of your streams and helps keep the cache filled in turn helping with buffering
increasing this can have effects the same goes for decreasing it, but this is why we are here so try different settings until you find what helps with buffering issues.
- This will help increase bad connections to fill up cache faster depending on the streams avg bitrate changing this can cause issues on some setups, EVERY SETUP IS DIFFERENT NO 2 DEVICES WILL RUN EXACTLY THE SAME no matter if they are the exact same device
- 52428800 = 50Mbps Now this is "RAM" When set to "0" this will force kodi to use emmc ( disk ) instead of "RAM" now i strongly recommend NOT to set to "0" as emmc chip sets cannot handle and were not designed to CONSTANTLY READ & WRITE yes they do this but at Intervals and not Constantly.
- Now back to this feature now that the above number is set, KEEP IN MIND this will require 150MB of RAM, IE 20971520 = 20MB and would require 60MB of RAM to make it easier what ever you set in this feature times it by 3
Now that we have had a little walk through on what these feature can help with and what not to do, we are now going to look at the changes that have been made in Kodi 17 KRYPTON
These settings are renamed in KRYPTON and are also removed from the network tag, we will look at what it is in and what has changed in the picture below.
As you can see in the above
<network> is now
<cache> this is because the features in the
<network> for memory and such have their own
<cache> tag now, also the other features have also been renamed so i will create a list below of what was and what is now.
The 3 feature tags we are using in the advancedsettings.xml, For KRYPTON have been moved to
<cache>tag instead of the
so if you are using KODI 17 KRYPTON
<network> & </network>with
<cache> & </cache>as in the picture above.
<buffermode>has had no changes
<readbufferfactor>has been renamed to
<cachemembuffersize>has been renamed to
The above features are only for KODI 17 KRYPTON
Now that we have covered the features and the changes let's get to it, now i will add each file below so you can download the files to make it a little easier for you guys that know little about your devices, so let's start.
The above links are for the advancedsettings.xml files now FOR KRYPTON FILE you will need to rename the file after downloading it all u need to do is remove the "k" from the end of the file name make sure the filename is
advancedsettings.xml and make sure kodi is closed EXITED properly so it ain't running in the background.
Then either add or replace the file in your kodi's userdata folder which can be found in the appropriate Directory on your device.
Linux ( debian, ubuntu and so on ):
Start - type %APPDATA%\kodi\userdata - press <Enter>
Now that you have downloaded the files place them in those directories on you device then exit and start kodi, and try a stream out and see if this helped with any buffering issues if it fixed your buffering issues YAY!! if not have a play with the settings as listed above try lowering a settings or upping a setting and test again.
as you might have found out by now it ain't as easy and is very time consuming just editing and trying a different setting, opening and closing kodi, this is what devs go through on a daily basis just to find the right setting for such a little feature, now kodi has 100's of these little tags, features, tweaks what ever you would like to call them.
Please allow a little time for any developer to get back to you as with the amount of feature, tags, tweaks this is a slow process and takes a while to figure out what would be the best for you.
AGAIN this is just a guide to try and help with the issue it is not a solution.
- Brand: Beelink
- Model: GT1 Ultimate
- Type: TV Box
- GPU: ARM Mali-T820MP3
- System: Android 6.0
- CPU: Amlogic S912
- Core: 2.0GHz,Octa Core
- RAM: 3G RAM
- RAM Type: DDR4
- ROM: 32G
- Max. Extended Capacity: 64G
- @ £62.80 Using code `GBGT1U` @ checkout
As a kodi user i would highly recommend getting a vpn secure you're browsing, secure your connection, protect your activity, stop hackers getting your details and so much more.
ALL information on this site is for educational purposes only, I am not involved with dev team in any way. You as the user are responsible for checking if you can use this add-on, apk, application, software in your country. ALL INFORMATION ON THIS SITE IS FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY
This site is an unofficial fan site with no association with kodi team, xbmc foundation or their forums, PLEASE DO NOT take any issues with addons to them or their forums you won't get any help at all.
As a kodi and Enigma user i would recommend using a VPN while watching Movies, TV Show, streaming P2P content, streaming tv channels, A VPN will goe-unblock content, unblock sources and keep you anonymous online. I Highly recommend the IPVANISH VPN because its easy to use and it won't slow down your internet connection.
Start accessing all kodi add-ons with a VPN!
GET a VPN and unblock KODI TODAY! Sign Up Here > IPVANISH
- Hide your browsing activity
- Access EVERYTHING! on Enigma2
- Access all Kodi add-ons
- P2P Torrents Allowed
- Access BBC IPLAYER, ITV PLAYER and more from around the world
- Access geo-restricted content from anywhere
- No Activity logs of your traffic
- Prevent ISP throttling
- Hide Yourself from the world
- Access blocked content from all over the world
- 7 day money back guarantee
- Routers with custom firmwares